Saturday, December 8, 2012

The ‘Honey' Drags On... and Mail Box Magic


Worse than a hankie. 

This doily is interminable as each round takes a very long time; it has become so very large! Hopefully, I can get to Row 11 by tomorrow. I am only finishing it because I will NOT quit. I am very bored, but it is very pretty in real life, I must admit. ; ))

Mail Box Magic

I received a surprise upon my return from my break. In the mail was a package from Martha, who tatted a bunch of Angelow Crichlow patterns for me, from “Let’s Tat!”

Martha is a wonderful tatter - I am in awe of her tiny, perfect stitches.

She also surprised me in that she sent me these patterns re-written by her in modern tatting terms. Thank you, Martha! This is such a treat!

That lady in the dress is in very fine thread, and it is flawless. I am so impressed.



Another exceptional tatter  I heard from, after I arrived home, was Val , who sent me these balls of Omega to try out. They are #50, and the thread is fairly soft. I am eager to try them out.

I am not so sure about the variegation  - there appears to be long lengths of each colour and a lot of white... I cannot imagine how it will look tatted. But that is the fun of it, isn’t it! Thank you, Val for the opportunity to try new threads.

The little motif on Val’s card is yet another example of the way I want my own tatting to look. Val’s tatting is, like Martha’s, flawless.


Thank you both for spoiling me!

17 comments:

  1. When I won that give away you had and you had the tatting in the card you sent, I thought the same thing! I keep it where I can see it to give me tatting to aspire to. :-) You are a wonderful tatter Fox. I am in awe of your tatting.
    I think it's wonderful all the goodies you received. Mail is a fun thing to get. Congrats! :-)
    Your doily is looking lovely. I have the pattern printed off of it, I'm not sure I will make it look as nice as yours though. I've been working on a Mary Konior one, it's not hard, but it's tedious. It doesn't lay flat like yours. My tension is fairly consistent, but it's still warping. I'm hoping blocking cures that, but it's frustrating me a little. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      i was quite stunned to read your comments and then very thrilled! Thank you for telling me that!

      Blocking usually takes care of the bit of warping... Good luck with it!
      Fox : )

      Delete
  2. Do you know where she got that thread? That's the only brand of tatting thread available in Mexico, but I can't find anything under a size 30. I didn't even know they made a smaller size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karla,
      I do not know where she originally got th thread - could be anywhere, if she bought it online.
      Fox : )

      Delete
    2. Karla, I believe I bought the Omega threads from Handy Hands. :)

      Delete
  3. I love how beautiful your honey napkin is!!! It continues to amaze me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your honey mat is looking beautiful have you much more to do?

    Lovely surprise and beautiful threads, can't wait to see what you do with them
    Have a nice weekend
    Take care love to Gian
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a number of rows left, but they do not look as dense as the last few - than heavens!
      xxoox Fox : )

      Delete
  5. The Honey Napkins is gorgeous! Your perseverance is admirable! Wouldn't it be wonderful if Martha were able to reproduce Angeline's entire book with modern notation? I'm sure getting permission would be tough, but I know I'd buy a copy! No pressure, Martha! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I’m in for a copy!
      Fox : )

      Delete
    2. Reproduce the entire 300+ page book???? Nope, sorry, too many other irons in the fire :)

      Delete
    3. My tiny, psychic brain told me to expect this very comment! Thanks for the a.m. chuckle, Martha!

      Theoretically, I think it is a good idea to publish about 1/20 of the book - about a dozen patterns - but I doubt anyone could receive copyright permission from the heirs.

      Fox : )

      Delete
  6. Wow - your mailbox truly is magic! I love the doily, but I understand what you mean. I really would love to make a large, beautiful doily, but I get sidetracked because of the boredom of working on one piece for so long. You have stamina to stick with it! (OK, maybe it's a stubborn streak . . . )

    ReplyDelete