Thought I would practice up for the peacock pattern that I have been studying.
I thought the onion rings in this would be a good warm-up
and they certainly were.
But, this is not what I expected.
#3/100 Design by Roger aka Freedman
I have been so enamoured of Wendy’s four beautiful motifs, here, here, here (My favourite) and here, that I looked up Roger aka Freedman’s pattern and tatted this one.
I do not like what happened, but I have learned an awful lot from this particular exercise.
1) The Catherine Wheel joins are no longer an issue - Yah! That is the good news...
2) The colours really disappointed me, I'm afraid.
The thread (Tatskool’s Spice Collection HDT’s) is wonderful to work with and was a generous gift from Suneeti, but for some reason, I got irritated with these shades and had to add beads to keep my interest going. These days, I have not been using beads, as I am trying to concentrate on the stitches themselves.
3) The white circle after the onion rings is much too prominent and the motif loses the emphasis of the lovely floral shape of the next row, which is darker thread. These two colours should have been reversed. Live and learn. Valuable lesson in colour.
4) The pattern is written for needle tatters, so I just used the stitch count and carried on.
Where it called for a cut and tie, I used a split chain beginning, so I could segue to the next row, but I made a counting error and had to wing it at the end of the row, causing an unsightly blunder. However, I did not lose my temper and figured out an escape route, hid it as best as I could and kept going.
In the end the mistake is not too terrible and I was able to accept the lack of perfection in a whole new way. I am learning!
There were a few more things as well, but the hour is late and I cannot seem to recall what they were.