Yup. A Jan Stawasz pattern. I had to be ill and very bored to get up the gumption to try this one! His patterns have always intimidated me for some reason.
#24-100 Motif Challenge
As he has his own distinct method of tatting the double stitch, I had to adjust the pattern. The coloured markers did help.
Because I was lazy and rather feverish, I did not make my own diagram, which would have made the process a lot easier and faster! I relied on this one and predictably got confused with every repeat I tatted.
There are a number of minor errors that I did not catch early enough to correct, and I ran out of thread with one repeat to go. However, it is finished, and... not bad!
The thread is Lizbeth #20, from one of the few balls I have left of the old stuff, and it was twisty and inconsistent. I will be so glad to use some of the new #40 Lizbeth thread that I am eagerly waiting for the postman to deliver. Can't wait, actually!
Once I had finished the motif, I was eager to hunt for a comment from a reader of tat-ology about daisy picots. I could not find the comment. After reading about 400, I gave up.
This comment prompted me to begin thinking about the technique, which I learned ( I think) in the T.A.T. course at some point, but I had forgotten how to accomplish it, as I have never put it to use.
So, I hunted for a pattern and an explanation; of course Jon provided both.
I love the way the thread matches my shuttle... thanks to LaCossette!