Thursday, July 8, 2010

Glutton For Punishment

Man, it is HOT here...  I managed to get the motif done.  Pattern from TATTING PATTERNS AND DESIGNS,. by Blomqvist and Persson.


Then, feeling confident and positive, I thought I'd have another go at clunies.  Nothing - but NOTHING went right.  The thread got tangled; the Lizbeth black split and twisted, and I was so hot my hands were sweaty.  So I put it aside and met up for the afternoon with a friend I have not seen in thirty years!

She actually really liked the covered ring motif I brought along for her.  Refreshing!

Then, when I got home I picked up the tatting and the Lizbeth  was impossible - it went in the garbage.  Don't worry - it was  the end of the ball of grief,  that, believe me, no self -respecting tatter would use.



I replaced the black with Cébéblia and carried on until I made too many mistakes; then I cut off a picot...
I am going to have to do it all over again.  When it is cooler.

Anon,

5 comments:

  1. Totally understanding. Prayers for a better day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fox,
    Love your clunies. Wanna come over and teach me now??????
    Pity about the black Lizbeth - maybe there are some issues with the darker colors - other brands have had similar problems with dark colors in the past.

    Really impressed with how far you go to get things right and done!! Great fun reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Liyarra,
    Great to hear from you! Thanks! That is quite the compliment, coming from you!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm constantly amazed at how different a 'simple' pattern will look when color is introduced! I had to get out my "Tatting Patterns and Designs" book, and then it took awhile to find the motif! As much as I like tatting in white or ecru, I think color can be a wonderful enhancement, and brings the designs to life!

    As for the clunies (beautiful color combo), it's probably not a good idea to do them when it's hot and humid! LOL! At least you know HOW to do them!

    I'm still amazed at the all the trouble you're having with Lizbeth! I did find the white to feel 'thicker' than the dyed ones, but otherwise no problems so far. I haven't got to the end of a Lizbeth ball yet, but by observation of one ball that's getting smaller, it does look like the thread is a little less 'smooth' there.

    It's amazing that you have a comment here from Liyarra, because (after reading your kind comment on my blog) I was going to suggest you visit Liyarra's blog posts of January 19 and 27 to see her BEAUTIFUL rendition (in Yarnplayer's gorgeous thread) of the 'hearts' pattern by Lene Bjorn (similar to Lyn Morton's), and the finished Lene Bjorn doily, which expands on that motif. Liyarra's tatting is perfect, and her gallery is amazing!

    Good news: It's supposed to get cooler over the weekend - only in the 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Fox, I cannot do Clunies's leaves when my hands are hot, and I always wash them in cold water... Don't cry, dear, and wait a little... Perhaps with a little fan you can do it, but...

    ReplyDelete