It began with a colossal boo-boo; I did not begin with a cloverleaf, tatting just one ring, not three, followed by a chain.
I did not see my mistake till I had tatted about half the leaf, where I realized I would run out of thread (two variegated threads!) if I started again, so I did something I hardly ever do: I figured out another way to get to the same place.
Continuing, leaving the chains without rings attached, thinking I could add the two missing rings at the end, I followed the remainder of the pattern. The other two rings were added last, joining to the waiting chains in the middle.
The last join is squished, and the stem comes out strangely, but I am pleased the leaf is complete and my thinking was sound!
While my finger heals, I kept the motif small.
From Rosemary Peel's book: