#11 Motif Challenge
Mary Konior's Queen of Hearts
Lily wrote this in a comment about the Queen of Hearts pattern yesterday:
- I messed it up the first time (due to the chains as you mentioned).Well, like Lily, I messed up BIG TIME with this one, but I am so proud of the result. I do believe that after two and a half years of tatting this is my finest piece. I will explain.
- I got it right the second time.
- I messed it up the third time (due to joining the chains on the wrong side of the rings). By this time I could see the repeat in the pattern (even though the joins are different throughout)
- Fourth time, I added a third picot in the first ring, same as you.
- Haven't attempted a fifth.
This is is white, soft, Cébélia. It is a small piece, consisting of only rings and chains. Nothing fancy - albeit brilliantly designed by one of the greatest tatting designers of all time.
BUT, in this, the second attempt, I vowed to pay attention to EVERY stitch and to correct each mistake along the way. I had to un-tat SIX of those TINY, ITSY-BITSY rings because of either an incorrect join placement or a chain with the wrong stitch count.
Also, I realize that though I have tatted this many times, I have always made mistakes in the picot count. Till I read Lily's post, I did not realize that there were joins in different places along those picots. Before, I always placed the joins in the same place of each repeat!
So, I followed the directions exactly; I made nothing up. I did add the three red beads, but I felt that I can allow for my own signature of creativity. I fact, I hold that to be a plus.
I paid attention to each and every "little soldier", (Thanks for THAT lesson CT - you know who you are!) I tried my best for consistent tension.
The whole experience felt new and exciting. I so hope this marks an overall improvement in my work, as I feel as if I have had some kind of tatting epiphany as I continue to strive for mastery of this wonderful art form.