There was a fatal flaw; I found it as I began the final two rows of the mat; a Jan Stawasz pattern.
Something just felt off- it had since the middle of the tatting I had done, but I could not see an error. Finally, I counted repeats in the photo ( taxing enough as it is so small ) and then counted elements in my work.
Yup. There was one error that meant I had increased the elements by one and had kept tatting. There was another mistake as well, but it was not as critical. Both boo-boos were towards the beginning.
I had spent about half an hour looking for the problem; sometimes it is so very difficult to find mistakes.
At any rate, I do not have enough of Karey Solomon's #40 or the #50 DMC to tat a new one. So, I am going to re-tat it in #80 - gasp - Lizbeth, as I have a lovely colour to use. I like the pattern; I find it a pleasing design.