I have wasted so much thread trying to get a final round that is 1) without mistakes 2) the appropriate colour and 3) the right weight of thread, that I took a break before stumbling on the perfect solution. That I shall keep hidden from view till I finish!
Here is what I attempted in the interim:
This is one of many of the pattens I have tried from this book and I have to admit I am not at all impressed!
Angeline Crichlow must be acknowledged for contributing much to the tatting community by writing the book, teaching and by her enthusiastic education of the public about her beloved art-form, but I have had no luck with any of her patterns - not one, as the stitch counts all seem off, as in the example here.
This is supposed to be flat, not cupped:
The thread called for was one size from what I am using, so I cannot say that is the reason for the problem.
No matter - it was a fun escape from the doily and I liked the thread and the beads were fun, so cupping or not I finished it!
LATER: Please note the comment by Frances, who noticed I left out a bunch of chains and that is why the row was so tight! I cannot blame poor Angeline for this - my apologies all around! [though I have had problems with most of the patterns of hers I have tatted : )) ]