Sunday, March 24, 2013

Besotted With Love-In-A-Mist

I tatted this because I fell in love with the pattern when I saw Wendy’s here: I used Anchor Mercer Crochet #80, which I received from Orsi. Love this thread. 

The pattern is Mary Konior’s (as if you did not know!). It is the smaller version - the Glass Mat


Because I used a smaller thread than was called for in the pattern, I  found that the thread lengths were too long in the mignonette portion. 

By the time I realized this, I had tatted too much to un-tat. Though this is wonderful thread and fairly easy to un-tat, you can see why I was loath to undo all those little rings - no matter how easy! So I kept going, but I am displeased with the result.

If you attempt this pattern in a fine thread, I suggest you use a smaller measurement than called for and it will look a lot better.

It could have had a larger mignonette section around the outside, but I got all excited about testing the new thread sample I received from Frivole, and I just couldn’t wait any longer!


This really is marvellous thread, though it is a three ply. But, it is shiny and easy to tat with and far superior to Cébélia, in my opinion. Nice. Thank you Frivole for the opportunity to try it. 

It is my understanding that is is less expensive than Lizbeth, and though it is not as firm, it is every bit as nice to have on my shuttles.  : ) 

I believe I must now research colour selection and availability on this super product.  

I certainly have been lucky with the latest thread samples, so kindly sent to me from afar. I really like both of these new threads and will continue to tat with them. Tatters Rule!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Fox

    It's years since I did Mary's mat, it can be difficult to keep the spaces on the thread the same all the way around.
    That thread look nice, not tried that one,
    Hope you are warmer than here, it's freezing today with a bitter wind
    Love to Gian
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and lacy. Haven't seen that DMC thread before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware of Babylo; it's a crochet thread, and when I tried to tat with it, it broke. So watch your tension - perhaps just a tad looser?
    I love size 30, so I'm always tempted to buy more, I used to love Cebelia 30, but can no longer get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I am surprised. #20 is fairly thick and I am not tatting loosely and it is fine so far. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll report any sudden breakage!
      Fox : )

      Delete
  4. Fox, this is magnificent. I love the combination of colors in the pattern. It is such a 'happy' combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have difficulty with mignonette patterns, but this is pretty. Thanks for sharing the thread info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely piece! I love that pattern and although I've made it once, I keep thinking I should make it again. I find mignonette tatting very forgiving in that not all the thread spaces have to be the exact same length for it to still look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love this pattern and the color choice you picked!! It's so neat! The only book I have of hers is "Tatting with visual patterns" and I really like her book. I am starting to explore threads right now, and I get confused with the sizes of threads. I am most used to Lizbeth threads, and usually stay in the 40-20 range. The Babylo #20, is that like a size 20? Also, DMC #30 that was mentioned, is that size 30? And since I'm asking thread questions, I am using a size 8 Perle Iris thread, would you say that is closer to size 20 or 10 in Lizbeth? Is there an easy way to compare thread size I just haven't figured out? I am a sponge and am learning so much from everyone's blogs !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The less inexpensive book is still in print andit is the last one published, so it is reasonably priced. The others are out of print, so they fetch whatever the market will bear.

      The Babylo #20 is comparable to Cebelia or Lizbeth #20.

      #30 is common to Cebelia, but I do not know to what other make. It is obviously thinner than #2, but not quite as thin as say Lizbeth#40 - though you could use those two together. At least I have.

      Not sure about the Perle- they seem to differ as well form make to make. Perle is 2 ply and soft so I do not like it for tatting. I have none so I cannot compare makes.

      I Google a lot when looking at thread and read as much as I can about them. But unless you actually hold it on your hand or on your shuttle, you can never be certain what they are like - in my opinion.
      Fox : )

      Delete
  8. Also, I googled this book of Mary Konior's, and the cheapest I could locate it for, is $60, but typically more than $150! Does that sound right? Her other book was not nearly that expensive. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I did not think the length of the mignonette was too long. I think it looks beautiful!! You know, I had an art teacher back in school who said the same abt red and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! An art teacher... That is depressing.
      Fox : ))

      Delete
    2. I am assuming the teacher did not like the two together rather than saying it would catch a fellow!!!
      : )

      Delete
    3. Yes she said red and yellow should not go together, nothing about 'catching a fellow'.

      Delete
  10. Tatters! Lovely comments. Thank you! I am not thrilled with that mignonette, but I do love to tat it anyway. I find it quite relaxing. And it reminds me of old-fashioned b/w movies where mysterious ladies wore intriguing black veils. Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous, fabulous! Shorter spaces might give a different look, but I do like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that tatted piece!!! So bright and airy!!! Fabulous color choices too!! :)

    ReplyDelete