Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lightening The Load

Eliz of tatknot left an interesting comment yesterday:
...I tat because I enjoy it and I think you do, too. While I love a challenge, I refuse to let my hobby become a dreaded chore. While I don't give up easily, I think it is perfectly acceptable to put a project in the UFO bin to be revisited on another day (maybe a very distant day) or just toss the thread, toss the pattern, or toss the whole project into the recycle bin.
I found this interesting as I have been busy at work finding a home for the threads I really do not enjoy using - loads of it!  Bye bye  Cebelia #20!  I kept the #30, #80 and all the white #20. There are only a couple of balls of these.

It feels very freeing to accomplish this whittling down and the thread went to good use. I do not feel so pressured by having so much thread I will never use.  So, there you are, Eliz; I followed your advice and am feeling so much better!


I got so excited about the "space" created that I started Jon's Medallion from her Sweetheart patterns. This is a really pretty motif used in a number of patterns... Thanks, Jon!  It is always a pleasure to tat your designs.


What I find curious is that I could not bear the Cébélia and have ranted about it for the entire time I have been posting on tat-ology.  But, I do not mind using this Perl #8, which I bought in New York, in that funny old establishment in the Garment District.

It is soft and floppy, but does not try to be what it isn't and the colours are great, I love the shine, so for a break I enjoy using it - with Boye shuttles!

Maybe because I purchased it with my daughter, on my birthday and met a ginger cat in the store accounts for the fondness, but I do no think so.

THE HANKIE?  Good news!  I am so excited to show you what is happening with the old "H"! It's all good!  Tomorrow...   I am glad I am so blasted stubborn. : ))

15 comments:

  1. so we are both up late.
    your motif looks pretty and Jon's designs are always a treat. I will be waiting to see your hanky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I severely need to destash and clear out stuff but I can't wrap my head around how to do it or where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The motif looks beautiful now I am waiting to see your hanky.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a while, but I feel the same way Eliz does. Unfortunately, my stash is still way too big... I love so much of what I have! Besides, I plan on retiring in eight years, and then I'll have time to use all this stuff, and it won't cost me a dime. ; )

    I love Cebelia for crocheting, but can't stand it for tatting. I love tatting with the perl cotton my mom uses for weaving. Unfortunately, it comes on such large spools that one would last me several lifetimes! I think my favorite threads are HDTs. There's something about the dyeing process that makes them just right for tatting... for me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, For me too! Love the way the HDT's tat up. It is in the dye - changes the fibre in such a good way for tatting!
    Fox : )

    wickedtats, I sat on the floor in front of the container and picked up every ball of thread and asked myself if I liked it. If the answer was 'no', it went in the bag for 'Bye Bye!" You can do it! it feels great!

    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love perl cottons! My favorite is the Finca brand. I have a stash of wonderful colors in size 16. I have to be careful not to fray the thread when untatting, but the shine is so appealing. I use it mostly for bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearing the stash is a project I must look at doing!! I do love HDT too! But can only get them at tatting events!! I would order on line but the shipping costs are too high for me and with the postal strike here in Canada it would take forever to get to my part of Tat Land!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just building my thread stash! I find that ordering HDT from the USA is cheaper for shipping than it is ordering it in Canada. I just got a thread order in a week, as the strike hits only here and there temporarily, and rural is still 5 days a week delivery. So far, Oh my goodness, I haven't found a thread I didn't like. (gulp!). Of course, any threads not perfect for tatting I use in my embroidery and CQing. I am a thread junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suztats. Welcome to the big, happy, twisted Tat-land family!
    : )) Fox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tatfully Yours,
    Shipping rates are abysmal! They do provide a built in Dr. Strangelove Tatting Thread Ordering Finger restraint, however!
    Fox ; ))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel so guilty for hoarding what thread I have! I think I should follow your lead here. (I'm thinking that would justify the purchase of HDT!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gee, ladies, I sure hope I get on disability so I can be a thread junky... I have four old balls of probably Aunt Lydia's #10 that I'm using up and my daughter just got me 4 new balls of Lizbeth #20 for my birthday, which I'm having a hayday with! I've used up the larger bits that you sent me, Fox, but I'm still 'chicken' to try to 30 and smaller! Is there any way someone can put in to offer a home for some the 'stuff' that others don't want lol?! ~Tatikan/Sher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fox, es un placer ver tus trabajos atrasados, ya que tenia problemas con mi computador pero ya estoy de vuelta y encantada de ver tus proyectos. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Maria! Glad you got that fixed! Good to hear from you.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete