Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tatting with Scissors

BUSTED!

I am so ashamed! I posted that picture yesterday of my first cluny piece and did not tell you that I REALLY messed up the last tally. So much, that I had to cut both threads.

When I blocked it following Jon's advice for blocking - LOTS of weight after wetting it, my wicked deed was well hidden.

But now, I have to 'fess up. I do not know how to pull that final thread when it begins get stuck. I realize that you really cannot undo a leaf, once it has been tatted.

I realize that this mistake of messing up at completion is something I do all over my life! Perhaps, I just get bored at the end. It's all about process at this point, rather than the final product. Problem is, when it IS done, the final product has suffered and there I am, process driven with an unsatisfactory reward. Bit of a conundrum, don't you think?

Now - question. Look at this little tatted piece that I was going to throw away - another badly ended process - and how it matches the card pattern. I gave this to my daughter-in-law on a gift, and then demanded the card back! For the babyblog! (shameless)

I pasted it down and was so pleased with the result. The question is: whose thread is this?
I got it from Tatskool. LadyShuttleMaker or Yarnplayer. I cannot recall. It is a #80, though, and great, as usual, to work with.
~Fox ~

~Aspiring Adept of TATROMANCY (magical meanderings with rings, chains and picots) ~

6 comments:

  1. So what makes you think you're on your own with owning a pair of well used scissors!?!?!?!
    Mistakes? I've made SO many throughout my life that I always now look to the future and never regret the past. Keep those scissors handy - I DO!!!!
    Anyway, I think you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mistakes or not... they're all beautiful! I love the thread. It looks so familiar, but I can't tell you off hand who dyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fox, I just over to let you know you've been tagged... ha ha! :)

    So you made a mistake! I don't think I've met a tatter who hasn't...if they ever say they've never made a mistake then they are lying!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane,
    Good grief! I know I'm not alone! My scissors are never far away. I may be a perfectionist, but I am also pragmatic. Thank goodness.

    Thanks for the visit. I LOVE comments! Praise or criticism... Fox : )

    Diane, Hi! I know; I love them all...Sigh.... so much colour, so little time! xxoo

    TattingChic, Oh Mentor!
    Thanks so much for the visit, but I have to disappoint! I don't do games very well! Forgive me!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    You CAN undo a leaf, but not partways, it's all or nothing. Since there are NO knots in a leaf, it is theoretically easier to undo than DS. Usually when the loops won't close, the thread from the the frame has gotten flipped and therefore stuck. The most likely place for this to happen is at the end where the the weaving thread has somehow gotten pulled and therefore flips the the frame thread. So..... al you have to do is undo the flip and give that naughty weaving thread some time in detention.

    Patty (peeking, is that fair?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty,

    I LOVE it that you were peeking! Peek away anytime. You are always welcome to comment - as I always learn something new from you!

    I will give it a go when I try this piece again, which I am about to do. Thanks so much for the details about the 'why' of the leaf. I thought it might be possible but did not, or rather, knot, know (or is that 'now') how to begin.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete